See us on meetup.com/seajug
18:00 Networking, food, and drinks
2021-06-15 18:00 @ Online event – ,
In this talk, we will examine strategies for full-stack web development in Java in 2021.
The presentation focuses on how to tackle the front-end from the perspective of a server-side Java developer. We will look at how a solo full-stack developer can leverage simple new frameworks to create rich, highly responsive, dynamic web applications – and how to scale those applications for larger teams.
Much of this session also applies to any server-side platform – invite your Python/Django, Ruby on Rails, and other server-side developer friends!
Some of the topics covered include:
– Compare & contrast React with htmx and Alpine.js
– Consider Canvas+WebGL+Web Assembly vs HTML/DOM vs -Virtual DOM-based frameworks
– Carefully considering rendering and caching throughout Spring Boot layers
– Discuss scaling team size and roles with different frameworks
– Tools for incrementally adding web development complexity to a Maven-based project
– Options for releasing a Java-based web application as a desktop and/or mobile app.
Speaker: Will Iverson has been a frequent speaker at SeaJUG for over a decade.
Will has been working in the computer and information technology field professionally since 1990. His diverse background includes developing statistical applications to analyze data from the NASA Space Shuttle, product management for Apple, and developer relations for Symantec's Visual Cafe. Consulting clients over the last two decades include Sun, BEA, Canal+ Technologies, AT&T, T-Mobile, the State of Washington, and many, many more. From[masked] Will was co-founder and CTO for Dev9, a premier Seattle consulting firm (acquired by Nortal in 2018). From[masked] Will worked on video games, culminating in the release of BlazeSky in 2020.